Sudbury Center, c1907Sudbury Center, c1907Real-photo postcard published by E. L. Fisher Who We Are Visit Us Contact Us Our Community Partners Calendar

 

The SHS Logo

Our new logo by Sudbury designer Bethany Schlegel Shaw is stylized image of the Loring Parsonage where our new History Center will be located. The colors incorporate various structural components of this almost 300 year old building. The Loring Parsonage in caricature signifies looking at history from a modern perspective, which is at the core of the SHS mission.

The SHS Lantern Logo

For many years our logo wass based on the Portico Lantern which hangs over the front door of Town Hall where we are located. The lantern was given to the town in 1914 by the Goodman Society in 1914 and is based on a design by renowned Sudbury architect Ralph Adams Cram. The lantern originally hung in front of the original Town Hall which burnt in 1930.

The Goodman Society Logo

The logo of our predecessor – The Goodman Society – incorporates a stylized portrait of Cato, the Native American who sold the land to the original settlers of the Plantation. Cato was given the title and rank “Goodman” by the colonials. He and his family lived on what is now called “Goodman's Hill”.

Who We Are

The Sudbury Historical Society is dedicated to bringing the rich history of the Sudbury Plantation into the lives and activities of the people of Sudbury. A non-profit organization, the society depends on donations of time, money and artifacts from our members, citizens and businesses in Sudbury, and Sudbury-minded people around the country.

The Society was founded in 1956 by history-minded citizens of Sudbury. In 1970, it absorbed the Goodman Society (founded in 1890) its predecessor Historical and Improvement Society. Since 1998, thanks to the generosity of the town's selectman, the Society has been headquartered in the Second Floor of the Sudbury Town Hall. In 2017, the Society will start to move next door to the Loring Parsonage where it will operate the new Sudbury History Center.

What we do:

  • Educate and interest the citizens of Sudbury in a finer public spirit, through understanding of the traditions and history of the town.
  • Collect, study and conserve artifacts and records relating to the history of Sudbury and its people.
  • Provide public programs and events relevant to the local history of Sudbury.
  • Provide age appropriate educational materials, research and tours related to the town's history for the town's children and students.
  • Assist anyone looking for information on Sudbury history.
  • Support academic research into the history of the town.

The Society's Officers, Board and Staff

Officers and Trustees

Katina Fontes
President
Rebecca Weeks
Vice President
Beth Gray-Nix
Secretary
Hartley Johnson
Treasurer
Joe Bausk
 
Diana Cebra
 
Keith Funston
 
Ruth Griesel
 
Stewart Hoover
 
Deborah Keeney
 
Ellen Morgan
 
Elin Neiterman
 
Melanie Perillo
 
David Pettit
 
Taryn Trexler
 

Advisors

Lee Swanson
Historian
William Andreas
 
David Colombo
 
George Connor
 
Bill Keeney
 
Debra Zurka
 

Staff

Sally Purrington Hild
Executive Director

Governance

The Society is a charitable, educational institution incorporated in 1956 as a Chapter 501.3c nonprofit corporation.

For details on our charter, please see:

SHS Bylaws (pdf .33mb)

2018 Summary of proposed changes to SHS Bylaws (pdf .25mb)

We also follow detailed policies regarding ethical behavior:

Collections Policy (pdf 0.25mb).

The Society is a charitable, educational institution incorporated in 1956 as a Chapter 501.3c nonprofit corporation.