The Hosmer House was built in 1793 in the Federal style by Elisha Wheeler. It was later bought by James Willis, who ran the Sudbury General Store and Post Office from the large room on the right side (in the picture) of the first floor, with the entrance via the porch. A large room over the store was used as a ballroom by the community. As can be seen from the photo below, the building has changed very little over the years.
In 1897 the house was purchased by Edwin and Abbie Hosmer, a Connecticut farmer and his wife. Their daughter, Florence Armes Hosmer (“Flo”) eventually took over the house running various businesses from the front room. More importantly, Florence was a successful and well known artist who is today best known for her portraiture.
In 1959 (nearly twenty years before her death in 1978) Florence deeded the property, as well as 497 of her paintings, to the Town of Sudbury on condition that the contents of the house would be on display to the public as a memorial to her father.
The building and its contents are managed and maintained by the Sudbury Historical Commission, which opens the house on many holidays and special occasions. In December the house is beautifully decorated for the holidays, with the assistance of many Sudbury area clubs and individuals.