The Hearse House, built in 1798 or 1799, was used to house the town's funeral carriage. The town owned vehicle was used for transportation of bodies from homes to the First Parish Meeting House and the cemetery. The first hearse was purchased in 1800 at a cost of $50.
The Hearse House was moved from this location several times over the last two hundred years. In 2009 the remains of the structure were identified and the owners donated the structure to the town. The frame was largely intact and the current building reconstructed on the frame using historically accurate materials with funds from the Commuity Preservation Act.