The Revolutionary War cemetery was created in 1716 by a vote at Town Meeting. It was the second cemetery in Sudbury and first on the west side of the Sudbury River (the first cemetery in Sudbury being the North Cemetery described in Stop 2 of the tour). The oldest burial stone still existing is that of Sara Noyes, who died in 1727 at age 29.
The graveyard holds the remains of 47 soldiers who were recorded to have fought in the Revolutionary War, including Deacon Josiah Haynes, who was one of two Sudbury men who were killed on April 19th, 1775 at the Battles of Concord and Lexington (the first battle day in the Revolutionary War). Also buried here is the Colonel of the Sudbury Companies of Militia and Minute, Ezekiel How. Col. How is also remembered as the second innkeeper of the Red Horse Tavern, later called the Wayside Inn. A list of the names on the stone markers is available from the Sudbury Historical Society.
Each year, on April 19th, re-enactors pay tribute to the original patriots by firing a musket salute at the Cemetery before marching to Concord’s North Bridge.
In 2012, archaeological investigation of the cemetery using ground-penetrating radar located 976 possible burial sites and 70 possible buried headstones.